Online Bylaw Library
Looking for a bylaw but not sure of the title, or looking for all bylaws that relate to a certain topic area? The Bylaw Library provides both categories and keyword search.
- Scrap Metal Dealers Bylaw Number 3944, 2008
- Secondhand Dealers Bylaw Number 3848, 2007
- Sewer and Drainage Bylaw Number 4429, 2015
- Sign Bylaw Number 3873, 2008
- Smoking Control Bylaw Number 3037, 1996
- Soil Removal Bylaw Number 1914, 1988
- Solid Waste Management Bylaw Number 4679, 2016
- Stream and Drainage System Protection Bylaw Number 4403, 2013
- Street and Traffic Bylaw Number 4402, 2014 - references parking and idling
- Street Vending and Special Event Vending Bylaw Number 4308, 2012
- Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw Number 3558, 2003
Under the Community Charter, the powers of Council may be exercised by bylaw. Since 1891 approximately 5,000 bylaws have been adopted by Council. Council adopts approximately 80 bylaws a year. The City’s bylaws are numbered sequentially, but numbering was restarted again at Number 1 in 1971 when the District of Fraser Mills amalgamated with the District of Coquitlam and as a result, some bylaw numbers have been repeated. The City’s Bylaw Library includes consolidated versions of the most frequently requested bylaws, as well as the ability to search by keyword within the City’s active bylaws.
In a consolidated bylaw, the original bylaw (sometimes called the "parent bylaw") is updated to include all of the amendments to that bylaw. On this website the City is providing access to unofficial copies of the City’s bylaws. It is important to note that these copies are provided for courtesy and they do not represent legal versions of bylaws and may not include recent amendments. Official copies of most City bylaws can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office. A copying fee may be charged. If you wish to obtain a bylaw or you need more information about using the bylaw webpage, email the City Clerk’s Office.