Residents that pay Garbage and Green Waste Utility fees receive unlimited yard trimmings collection twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Find out where else to dispose of extra yard waste at other times of the year for free.
Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings Collection
For six weeks every spring and fall, residents who receive curbside collection from the City can put out extra yard trimmings for pick-up on their regular collection day.
Next Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings Collection dates:
- Spring: April 3 – May 11, 2023
Set-out options for extra yard trimmings during Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings Collection:
- Place grass clippings, leaves, prunings, and small branches in kraft paper bags or in old garbage cans with a Yard Trimmings Sticker (PDF)
- Download and print a sticker or call 604-927-3500 to get stickers
- Tie bundles of branches with twine
- Individual branches must be less than 7.5cm (3 in.) in diameter and no more than 1m (3ft.) in length
- Bundles, bags, and containers must not block sidewalks, laneways or streets and can weigh no more than 20 kg (44 lbs) each
Rocks, sod, and soil are not accepted.
Do not place food scraps or plastic bags in your yard trimmings bags or cans.
Green Carts cannot be placed at the curb before 5:30 a.m. on your collection day during this event, even if they only contain yard waste, as per Solid Waste Management Bylaw No. 4679, 2016.
Note: A separate truck collects the extra yard trimmings and may arrive at a different time than the regular Green cart collection.