Fees and Charges

Development Applications Fees

To see a list of development application fees, including fees for rezoning, subdivision, development permit and development variance permits, please refer to the Development Planning Application Fee Schedule (PDF)

Please note: For Applications submitted after January 03, 2022, mail-out postage cost recovery for public consultation will be collected by staff after the letters have been sent out.

Community Amenity Contribution (CAC) Program

A Community Amenity Contribution (CAC) is a voluntary financial contribution made by an applicant to a municipality at the time of rezoning of a property, to assist with offsetting the burden of the development on the community. CAC programs typically apply only to new residential density created as part of development. Many Metro Vancouver municipalities have CAC programs.

The City’s CAC program applies up to a maximum floor area (FAR) of 2.5 times the lot area. For higher density developments above an FAR of 2.5, which would typically be high-rise buildings, the City has an optional Density Bonus Program that developers can use that also includes a financial contribution to the City. The CAC program only applies to new residential density (i.e. additional building floor area) that is associated with a rezoning application. 

For more information, please refer to the Community Amenity Contribution (CAC) Program page.

Pay Security

  1. By Cash
  2. By Certified Cheque, Bank Draft or Money Order – made payable to the "City of Coquitlam"; or
  3. Letter of Credit (PDF) - Issued by a bank or credit union within the Metro Vancouver area. If a company or individual is providing the security on behalf of the property owner, a Letter of obligation (PDF) must be provided by the company or individual providing the security.

Development Cost Charges (DCCs)

The City levies Development Cost Charges (DCC) on development applications, payable by the applicant at time of approval. The File Manager provides the applicant with an estimate of the City’s DCC, as well as the required Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District DCC, Translink DCC, and School Site Acquisition Charges (SSAC).

For more information on DCCs, please refer to:

Subdivision Inspection Fees

Developers are required to pay inspection fees before final subdivision approval or building permit approval for a development. The inspection fee is the following percentage of either the value of the works calculated by the Manager, or the value of a signed contract for the works executed by the owner and the owner’s contractor, plus 10%, provided such amount is acceptable to the Manager:

Estimated Construction Costs Fee

Estimated Construction CostsFee
First $100,0005.0%
Next $150,0004.5%
Next $250,0004.25%
Next $500,0003.75%

Building Permit Fees

Building permits are based on "value of construction"—the bigger the job, the higher the fee. The initial fee is an application fee. You pay the balance of the permit fee when you pick up the issued permit. A damage deposit is charged for work exceeding $50,000 in value, calculated based on lot frontage. 

For more detailed information on Building Permit fees, please refer to the Fees and Charges Bylaw Schedule "D" (PDF).

Plumbing and Sprinkler Permits

Plumbing and Sprinkler Permit cost depends on the type of system you are installing.

For more information on plumbing permit fees, please refer to the Fees and Charges Bylaw Schedule "D" (PDF)

Sign Permit Fees

Sign value is based on the cost of installation to the applicant and may require documentation. Sign permit fees are charged per sign. If a sign(s) is installed prior to permit issuance, double fees are charged.

For more information on sign permit application fees, please refer to the Sign Permit Fee Schedule (PDF).

Damage Deposit Fees 

Applicants for new single and multiple family building permits are required to pay a damage deposit before the permit is issued.

For more information about damage deposit costs, please contact the Building Permits Division at 604-927-3441.

Water Service Shut-Off Keys

Water service shut-off keys are available for a refundable cash deposit of $50 at the Austin Service Centre, 500 Mariner Way, you must return the keys within 30 days for a deposit refund.

For more information on water service shutdown keys, please contact the Building Permits Division at 604-927-3441.

Comfort Letter and Bylaw Inquiry Letter Fees

For more information on Comfort Letter and Bylaw Inquiry Letter fees, please refer to the guide (PDF).

Change of Address Fees

To apply for a change to an existing address, submit a letter, with the required fee, outlining the reason(s) for the request, to:

City of Coquitlam
Planning and Development Department
3000 Guildford Way
Coquitlam, BC
V3B 7N2

For more information on Address Change fees, please refer to the Fees and Charges Bylaw Schedule "D" (PDF)