Sign Permits

You must successfully apply to the Planning and Development Department for a Sign Permit before placing or altering a sign on the exterior of any building or structure, or on any property in the City. This requirement applies to both permanent and time-limited signs.

Applications for sign permits are reviewed for compliance with the City’s Sign Bylaw:

Please email Sign Permits or call 604-927-3430 for more information, or if you are unsure whether your proposed sign requires a permit.

Relaxed Sign Rules to Support Businesses During COVID-19

Coquitlam has temporarily relaxed its sign regulations to help businesses more easily publicize key information related to the pandemic.

The temporary exemptions will mean businesses do not need to apply for a sign permit, pay fees or adhere to limits on the sign area (excluding sandwich board signs), time period and number of temporary signs that provide pandemic-related information such as:

  • Hours of operation, closures and reopenings;
  • Directional information to ensure physical distancing;
  • Best practices to limit the spread of COVID-19, such as use of masks;
  • Changes of services or inventory; and
  • Phone numbers and website addresses.

The temporary signs may not be used to advertise products, services or pricing, and businesses are expected to keep the signs organized, maintained in a professional manner and installed safely. 

Sandwich boards must remain on the business property and are not permitted on sidewalks or other public rights-of-way unless approved through a formal sign application.

The temporary exemptions will be revisited at the end of 2021.

Comprehensive Sign Plans

Apply for a Comprehensive Sign Plan if the property is a lot where there are multiple tenancies, such as a shopping centre; or where there are joint sign applications for adjoining lots on one side of a street. The owner of the lots, and/or businesses involved with the Comprehensive Sign Plan, will appoint a Sign Coordinator in writing, to oversee and approve the proposed signs. Submit the Sign Coordinator’s Approval Form along with a Sign Permit application: